Acute poisoning in a child following topical treatment of head lice

Inappropriate use of pesticides to treat head lice nearly killed a child in the US recently.  The child was treated with topical application of Diazinon-60 (WHO Class II toxicity) for head lice (pediculosis capitis). Pesticides can be absorbed in through the skin. The child suffered serious neurological symptoms. After emergency respiratory and circulatory resuscitation the patient underwent dermal decontamination and was treated with atropine, high flow oxygen and pralidoxime. The head lice was eradicated but the child was hospitalized for seven days and fortunately discharged after full recovery. The case highlights the importance of the danger of misusing pesticides for the treatment of head lice. Go see your doctor or Trichologist for treatment.